top banner all lyra

The following advice is a guideline and may not apply to your circumstances.

Always consult a Vet where possible.

Our Liability is limited – click Disclaimerfor details.

Poisons in the home:   Animal and Human medication, detergents, bleach, plants, old paint, household waste and gloss paint.

Poisons in the garage: Antifreeze.

Poisons in the garden: Weed-killer, toxic plants and toad venom, rat and mice poison, (remove dead mice/rats out of dogs reach).  Slug pellets, (slugs and snails carry the life-threatening lungworm ‘Angiostrongylus vasorum’).  If your dog swallows one there is a risk it could become infected.  Please visit this website for more information...   www.lungworm.co.uk

Poisons on a walk: Carcasses of dead animals i.e. Badgers, Rats, could contain poison.

The symptoms of poisoning are usually very dramatic; excessive dribbling, loss of balance, respiratory distress, pawing at the mouth, convulsions and collapse, to name but a few.

 

WHAT TO DO

If you know what has been swallowed, licked or fallen into, phone the Vet and tell him/her.  Remember to take a sample of the substance or its container with you.

Never make your pet sick unless directed by the Vet.  (Some poisons would burn its throat for the second time).

If your dog has brushed against some gloss paint or stepped onto a lid, for example, you can massage Swarfega into the area which will help it to dissolve, and then wash the dog in warm soapy water, several times.  Swarfega is not toxic.

If the dog has a large area of gloss paint anywhere on its body, take the animal to the Vets immediately.

Do not give the animal milk to drink, as this could aid absorption of the poison.

If the pet has fallen into a poisonous liquid, such as acid or bleach, call the Vet and with his approval, wash the animal thoroughly from top to between the toes in mild soapy water, in order to reduce the chance of the poison being absorbed through the skin.  (Do not use a solvent or an oily substance).

Repeat this until you feel that the fur is clean.  Gently dab the animal dry with a soft towel, as the skin will be very sore and tender.

If the animal collapses or goes into shock, keep it warm and calm whilst driving to the Vets.

Remember...   when taking your animal to the Vet take the poisonous substance or the container or the dead animal too.